compensation: $29,000 to $35,000 employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
The Washington County Youth Service Bureau/Boys & Girls Club is seeking a dynamic, strengths-based Director for its Basement Teen Center in Montpelier Vermont. The Basement Teen Center is a substance-free, adult-supervised space for teens to gather, have a healthy snack, participate in planned activities, learn leadership skills, and have fun. The Program provides a safe place for area youth to develop their potential as individuals and as members of the broader Montpelier community. We are looking for a Director with passion for working with young people and the enthusiasm to build on the legacy earned from being a mainstay of youth programming in Vermont's Capital City for over twenty-five years. This position requires maintaining a database, collaboratively writing and reporting on grants, using social media, developing informational materials, and conducting outreach to schools and other community spaces. Applicant should be comfortable or able to become comfortable working with youth representing diverse backgrounds. The Director will lead our sex-education and healthy relationships class several times annually, both at the BTC and in area schools. The Director should be able to manage and prioritize the requirements of several grants. Approximately 50% of the Directors time will be spent administratively, with the other half providing direct service at the BTC. The ability to put a mean backspin on a ping-pong ball, noodle around on the guitar, plan, prepare, and cook a group meal, and/or be able to paint along with a Bob Ross video are all bonuses. Above all, candidates are expected to feel comfortable building supportive relationships with youth aged 12-18, lending an open ear, offering support and encouragement when appropriate, and being a non-judgmental adult they can rely on.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director will be responsible for:
• Annual Recruitment and Supervision of an AmeriCorps member, which includes training and continuous development
• Supervising youth drop-in hours: Welcoming new youth, setting and holding boundaries, building rapport, leading and participating in daily activities, and providing positive role modeling
• Program development and implementation, including both curriculum and non-curriculum-based programs
• Volunteer recruitment and management
• Extensive community collaboration
• Data entry and management, grant management, and program reporting
• Attending trainings throughout the state
• Organizing and leading chores and ensuring cleanliness of the space
• Collaborating with youth on weekly Friday Night meals, including teaching nutrition, shopping, cooking and cleaning skills
• Maintaining positive relationships with the City of Montpelier, the schools, area businesses, and other community organizations
• Bachelor's degree and prior experience in youth programming
• Prior experience and training in youth topics preferred (LGBTQIA, positive youth development, cultural relevancy, youth engagement, etc.)
• Candidates must be organized, self-motivated, possess the ability to handle multiple tasks, and have developed leadership and administrative skills
• A driver's license and clean driving record is required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Applications and prior database experience preferred
• The position will average 7.5 hours/day Monday - Friday and must generally be available during the open hours of the Teen Center: 2:00-6:00 pm Monday-Thursday and 2:00 - 10:00 pm on Fridays
This is full-time position (37.5 hours per week). A desk-space is provided at the Bureau's main office and is shared with another person. The Basement Teen Center is comprised of one 100% FTE Director and an FTE AmeriCorps Volunteer Activities Specialist. Community volunteers supplement leadership potential at the BTC. The team meets formally at least once a week and works very closely together. Individual supervision is provided at least once per week. Youth-work at the Bureau is collaborative. All Bureau employees attend a morning staff meeting once a month, receive outside clinical consultation twice per month, and participate in office coverage and on-call duties. The atmosphere at the Bureau is casual.
This position is being offered at 100% FTE based on a 37.5 hour work-week.
BENEFITS (After Completion of a 60 day probation period)
Vacation Allowance-15 days
Personal Days-3 days
Sick Leave-10 days
Health Insurance-See below
Dental/Optical-Not available at this time
Long Term Disability-Yes
Effective 1/1/2019, the WCYSB will offer insurance coverage for benefit eligible employees through either Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Vermont or MVP. The monthly premium contribution from the WCYSB will be $350 per employee. Blue Cross/Blue Shield and MVP offer multiple plans that employees may choose from. Additional premium costs associated with each plan above the Bureau's $350 allocation will be the employee's responsibility and are applied toward premiums as pre-tax payroll deductions.
• Background check required
• Position open until filled
• Washington County Youth Service Bureau/Boys & Girls Club is an EOE
• Please submit cover letter, resume and 3 references.
Please hit the reply button on the upper left of this posting to submit your application.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers