The Vermont Youth Development Program (YDP) seeks a full-time Advocacy Coordinator to facilitate a youth-adult partnership approach to enhancing the child welfare system in Vermont.
The YDP Advocacy Coordinator will serve as a liaison between youth, YDP, and the Department for Children and Families- Family Services Division (DCF) leadership. Primary elements of this role include understanding the way the child welfare system works (including relevant policy and legislation), building relationships with stakeholders (adult and youth alike), and leveraging that understanding and those relationships in order to build meaningful and effective leadership and advocacy opportunities for youth.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
● Managing the operations of the Youth Advisory Board (YAB), which will include:
o Facilitating regular meetings, in partnership with youth leaders and adult supporters.
o Executing strategic plans for optimum recruitment, member engagement, and efficacy.
o Providing direct training to youth and adult supporters on topics such as Strategic Sharing, preparing to speak on panels, navigating systems, leadership, professionalism, and more.
o Promoting capacity-building opportunities for youth and young adults.
o Communicating YAB updates to the field, and building a network to support the youth-adult partnership model of the YAB.
o Ensuring collaboration between the YAB, the YDP network, and DCF leadership.
● Collecting and analyzing youth data associated with recruitment for and participation in advocacy and leadership events.
● Planning YDP’s annual youth conference.
● Planning and facilitating ongoing advocacy events such as youth panels for DCF and foster parents/ caregivers.
● Continuously evaluating current leadership and advocacy opportunities and exploring new opportunities to effectively elevate youth voice, in partnership with adult supporters.
The ideal candidate will be organized, forward-thinking, and strategic and share our team’s commitment to providing the best opportunities possible for youth who have experienced foster care.
● Willingness to work within a youth-adult partnership model
● Ability to consider issues from multiple perspectives, namely those of youth and child welfare professionals
● Capacity to understand the child welfare system (including policies, legislation, culture) and how it impacts youth
● Ability to interpret complex elements of a bureaucratic system and translate them to youth
● Strength in communicating and collaborating with both youth and adults
● Ability to identify system strengths and weaknesses, and leverage relationships in order to promote positive changes
● Capacity to plan events and manage multiple projects simultaneously
● Bachelor’s degree in human services-related field
● Skilled with use of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
● Experience working with youth and young adults (ages 14-23) (preferred)
● A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record (required)
Program Culture and Working Environment
The Youth Development Program is a statewide program that serves about 500 youth each year. The program provides case management, financial resources, extended foster care, and leadership and advocacy opportunities to youth 14-23 years old. YDP’s mission is to ensure that youth with foster care experience enter adulthood with the necessary support to build productive and fulfilling lives. By investing in youth, YDP promotes healthier and better-connected young adults, families, and communities.
The YDP Advocacy Coordinator would be part of the YDP’s statewide administrative team, which is housed at the Washington County Youth Service Bureau in Berlin, VT.
This is a FTE position (37.5 hours per week), with desk-space in an office shared with the YDP Admin Team. The YDP Statewide Administrative Team is comprised of a Director, Assistant Director/Billing Specialist, and Advocacy Coordinator. Youth-work at the WCYSB is collaborative and the atmosphere is professional casual.
Benefits: after completion of 60-day probation
Vacation Allowance 15 days
Personal Days 3 days
Holidays 12 days
Sick Leave 10 days
Health Insurance Yes
Dental/Optical Not available at this time
Long Term Disability Yes
Life Insurance Yes
Washington County Youth Service Bureau/Boys & Girls Club is an EOE
• Please submit cover letter, resume and 3 references.
• Position open until filled
• Background check required
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities